Saturday, July 31, 2010

Does anyone have advice on how to help a hamster adjust to an owner?

I bought a new hamster not long ago. Since I brought him home, my dad has been sneaking into my room when I'm asleep or not around in order to play with him. (I just learned this tonight.) Because of this, the hamster won't let me near him, but loves my dad, and gets defensive whenever I try to change his food or take him out for his daily exercise.Does anyone have advice on how to help a hamster adjust to an owner?
Spend more time with your hamster, give him treats and handle him frequently, let him get used to your scent. Its very normal for a hamster to be solitary so recently after being brought to a new home, let your hamster adjust, and tell your dad to limit the bonding. Remind him that it's your hamster.Does anyone have advice on how to help a hamster adjust to an owner?
Well i would ask you dad if you can also play with your hammie when he is. This may allow him to realize that you are safe! If your dad gently places him on you or in your hands, he knows that your dad trusts you so why cant he. If this doesnt work, then just work with your hammie! Im sure that your hammie will see that you are the one who is caring for you and cleans his cage and keeps you safe!








Good luck and Hope this helps!
put your hand in his/her cage and let your hamster smell you and get used to you. eventually, he/she will let you pick them up, but always be gentle. you want to let your hamster know that you mean no harm.
Sit in an empty tub with the hamster after ';hamster proofing'; the bathroom and let him run around.

No comments:

Post a Comment