Thursday, July 29, 2010

I need advice on how to successfully hibernate a box turtle?

I found this turtle several years ago in the woods in back of my house in GA and have always just let her go back into the woods to hibernate for the winter. She has been injured some time in the past and has lost her right eye.She came again this summer and I have been keeping her in a 10'x12' enclosure in my back yard.I dig earthworms, grubs, crickets and slugs (along with a commercial turtle food) that I feed her every day which she eats with gusto. I would like to keep her in this area for the winter instead of letting her go back into the woods where she might not come out again. What do I need to provide for her to safely hibernate in the enclosed space or would it be better to let her go as I have been doing since 1999?I need advice on how to successfully hibernate a box turtle?
She knows her natural place to go . Obviously it has worked for her a long time.She will remember your feeding her and will come back .


Along with the listed foods add spinach and some lettuce , some like root veggies too.I need advice on how to successfully hibernate a box turtle?
Thanks to everyone who answered my question. Although I didn't want to let my turtle go and I think she might have survived very well in the location I had her, I let her go back into the woods. I just hope she will remember who fed her and will come back in the spring.

Report Abuse



Leave her in the pen until she starts to hibernate. Be careful, she will instinctively hide.





When she's ';out';, put her in a rubbermaid container, cover her with a towel, but don't put the lid on, and put her in your garage, or a shed. Make sure temps in the garage never gets warm enough for her to wake up. Check on her every week or so, just to make sure everything's fine.


In the spring, when it starts getting warmer, check on her everyday. When she ';comes to'; put her back in the pen.





I've been doing this with my outside turtles for years. So far, never lost one.





OR





You can bring her inside, provide heat and UV light, and she won't hibernate at all. There is no reason she needs to hibernate, it's how turtles preserve resourses during cold, dark times where there is little food. Keep her warm and fed and she'll be ready for the outdoors come spring.


I also have indoor turtles that have never hibernated.
If you try to hibernate this turtle yourself, you will kill it.


Just my prediction.
contact the Herpitologist or curator at the nearest zoo for guidance

No comments:

Post a Comment