Thursday, July 29, 2010

Can anyone offer advice on books dealing with death for a fourth grader?

We just came back from vacation to find our daughter's friend was killed in a car accident yesterday. Her other friend was also in the car and she is going to need a lot of facial reconstruction.





Any advice would be appreciated greatly.Can anyone offer advice on books dealing with death for a fourth grader?
http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/browse/鈥?/a>





I further refined the barnes and nobles link to take you directly to the books they offer on dealing with death for children. My prayers are with you.Can anyone offer advice on books dealing with death for a fourth grader?
I think that the best thing you could do is support her as best you can. I know that's really obvious, but that's all I can come up with.

Report Abuse



Bridge to Terabithia is a good one. The list the other person left seems very good. Many funeral parlours have special pamphlets etc. with suggestions about how to deal with death and children. Your local minister may also help. Does your school board have a grief councellor who may have suggestions or does your workplace have an employee assistance councellor?





I twice taught children whose parents died while I was teaching them. The younger child, in grade 3 had very little public reaction. He spoke about his father being in heaven quite cheerfully. The older boy (grade 6) was more sad and showed more emotional fallout. Both children were, of course, very much affected by their loss. Some children are very verbal and will share their feeling readily, some don't so you have to watch for signs of their feelings.





The one boy drew a picture for his father to put in the casket to say goodbye. If possible, go to the visitation or funeral. Most people say it is important that even the very young grieve their loss in a concrete way. Did your daughter enjoy a special place with her friend? You could try going there to say goodbye with a bouquet of flowers, etc. Making a scrapbook of things they did together if they did do things together. If you don't have a lot of pictures perhaps put up one picture of them.


My deepest sympathies to you all.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?ie=U鈥?/a>





Lurlene McDaniel has some amazing books that deal with really hard things like that. The website lists a bunch of books that might be of interest.


I'm very sorry for your loss, I know what it is like to lose a best friend
';Straight Talk about Death for Teenagers,'; by Earl Grollman is well written, concise, and discusses different types of losses. Students in sixth, seventh and eighth grades found this helpful.
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with your daughter and her friends' families. I see someone recommended Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson. That's the book I was going to recommend. Hugs.
I have linked you to books on this subject, which you can buy online.


My sympathies to your daughter on her loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment