Thursday, July 29, 2010

I need advice for my newly adoted one year old Jack Russell Terrier?

He is on a twice a day feeding schedule.


My question is how long after his meal should I take him out to poop?I need advice for my newly adoted one year old Jack Russell Terrier?
My Sheltie goes out immediately...she always has. I think in most cases they should go out within 15-20 minutes. Are you crate training? If not, then you should. Good luck.I need advice for my newly adoted one year old Jack Russell Terrier?
If he's a year old, his body has developed its own timing. He needs to poop at least twice a day, but his digestion probably runs more on several hours than several minutes like a young puppy. My Jack Russell goes during her morning walk (1/2 hour to an hour daily), and during her late afternoon playtime (at least 1/2 hour at park or beach or somewhere off-leash every day). She eats lunch and supper. Lunch is after the morning walk, supper is after the evening playtime.


I stress the exercise because that's a requirement if you want your Jack Russell to be a civilized housedog.
I got my dog at about a year old too, and she eats twice daily. I let her relax for about 10 minutes after a meal, then she goes out. The reason for waiting 10 minutes is that she is hyper and you don't want them running around right after eating (although my dog is big and more prone to bloat than yours probably is). I think it's not that they poop what they ate right away, but it's just part of a routine that triggers them to expect to eat and go potty at regular times.





Since he's a year old and can probably hold it a long time, I think it's more about teaching him a routine than waiting until he digests his meals.
my jack russell goes out about 30 min. to 2 hours/more after his meals to poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment