Saturday, August 21, 2010

Does anyone have any advice on how to follow my dream?

I desperately want to be an actress. It's my best talent other than writing. I don't know what it is, but I feel so alive and invigorated when I'm onstage. I've acted in plays and productions and whatnot, but I'm not having any luck out here where I'm living now. We don't really have anything out here that I can do. Everything here's mainly music-oriented. I love to act and want to pursue this professionally. I love everything about it. I've decided to just go for it and follow my dream, but I really don't know where to start. Please help. I'd really appreciate any advice I can get.Does anyone have any advice on how to follow my dream?
I know exactly how you feel and I'm going through the same thing. The book ';Breaking Into Acting For Dummies'; breaks it down for you and explains step by step what you need to do to reach your goals.





Not only is it good advice but it's a funny and interesting read. Now, that's a short-term fix to get you familiarized with everything that's involved in being an actor.





Also, you should look into community theaters in your area. Even the smallest town (I live in a town w/ population less than 500) will have nearby community theaters. even if you can't land a part at first, volunteer as an usher, or in the box office, or backstage to familiarize yourself with what it's like to be onstage. even if your long-term goals are movies and t.v. as opposed to theater, it's still valuable experience.





long term goals - start saving now to move to L.A. or NY. you can't be a professional actor in the middle of nowhere. those two cities are really the only places to be if you're serious. but, you need money for moving expenses, housing expenses, etc. so start saving now, even if you're in highschool.





and most importantly, never give up on your dream.Does anyone have any advice on how to follow my dream?
If you're still high school age or under, Interlochen summer camp is an AMAZING summer program and really contributed to my growth as an actress and a person. I went there for three years and those were some of the best summers of my life! It's located in Interlochen Michigan, but people come from all over the world!





They have a creative writing program as well^_^





They also have a Performing Arts Academy if you want to make your commitment more ';full time';.





http://www.interlochen.org/camp/





Check out their FAQ and click around. Their scholarship program makes it affordable to everyone!





Hope that at least gives you a good place to start!
Start where you live. Call the community theater and ask if you can be a volunteer at the theater, that way they will get to know you and perhaps give you a role if you are ';right'; for anything.
  • gloss
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment