Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What is some good advice to give eigth graders about alcohol and drug use in high school?

I'm just a few years older than them and I want to somehow get through to them about not drinking or using drugs. Is there any way or anything I can say that you think will help me get them to really listen? thanksWhat is some good advice to give eigth graders about alcohol and drug use in high school?
Tell them, ';I've always had more respect for the kids who have the nerve to say NO, than for the ones who are scared of looking uncool and say yes to stuff that is totally not good for them.';What is some good advice to give eigth graders about alcohol and drug use in high school?
If they want to be successful in life they will not do drugs. People who get caught up in the drug culture end up addicted, serving time in jail/prison or dead.





They lose the support of their families. They often have to resort to stealing to support their drug habit. Methamphetamines rot your teeth and brain. There is nothing pretty about drugs.





8th graders brains are not yet fully developed. Alcohol use will impede the development of the brain of a young person. As will other drugs.





You can cut some articles out of the newspaper that show what happens to young people that do drugs and/or alcohol. Take them with you and share them with the youngsters you come into contact with. I congratulate you on wanting to make a difference.
Myself, I would ask if there were any happy students present.I would explain that we all have natural endorphins that make us happy. By drinking, drugs you sorta trick these endrophins. After a while they stop working, then the artifical ones take over-drugs, which is o.k.-if that`s the only way you want to be happy. Because the only way you can get happy is to get high.Oh, %26amp; BTW when you are not high you feel awful, because of the toil drugs take on your body-Takes vitamins out, Hung over.Dehydrated.Oh, those lovely pharmcy medicines do the same thing.
People are going to do what they want to do. You can't convince them not to use drugs or drink alcohol. What you can do, however, is give them the tools to understand why it is not good for them.





Show them the family tragedies that take place due to drugs and alcohol. Explain to them how it hurts your body.





However, face the facts. I am assuming almost 3/4 of Americans have drank alcohol at one point in their lives and a portion similiar to that has tried some sort of drugs.





Just be sure to end your sermon saying, ';This is the advice I am giving you. I'm not trying to convince you all not to drink alcohol or not to do drugs, that choice is your's to make. However, you are all individuals who will make your own decisions in life. Just remember, that you are responsible for your actions. Take my advice or leave it, but just remember you make your own future.';
DON'T DO IT. drinking and drugs can get you temporarily happy, and people do it because it's ';fun';. not true. people try and drink their problems away, snd being drunk isn't the only way to be happy. ';But all my friends are doing it!';. Well, then maybe they aren't the friends for you. Im a sophmore in high school, and i dont drink or smoke (and i still have plenty of good friends, and im not considered a nerd). There are other ways to get ';high';. Duct tape people to walls, make prank phone calls, spray canned air upside down, and my favorite: fool around at walmart. maybe if it hasn't sunk in yet, check out Ozzy or Anna Nicole Smith (yeah, she's dead). How would you like it, 20 years from now: ';Hi, my name is *friends-name-here*, and im an alcoholic, because I thought it'd be a cool thing to do.
Use stories if you can. ';I have a friend who...';





The best advice I ever got was from my parents telling me this: Blame me. Kids are doing something I knew was wrong, I could blame them. ';My parents would kill me if they found out and they always find out.'; Got me out of many situations.





If there was a situation I was unsure about, couldn't handle, whatever, to call home and they would come and get me. It worked. I just broke off from the groups and called them to come and get me.
tell them a story about somebody that you knew that it ruined their lives...





convince them that smoking or drinking


or drugs DOES NOT make people cool.





and just be honest and friendly not stiff and mean like some speakers ive had before lol...





=] hope i helped
The best advice is ';DON'T';! But you already know that.


Usually the Police will have a program with Officer speakers.


Get the school principal to contact the local community office.
You need to explain the short- and long-term effects of drugs and alcohol on the body. I think that showing them pictures of drug effects and addicts will be beneficial.
Tell them a sad story about a person who really did drugs and see the consequences for it. Add a little humor in it so they won't think it's boring and at the end say DRUGS DON'T DO IT
kidshealth.org is a good site for kids. There are resources to go to from that site also.
go slow
high school sucks

No comments:

Post a Comment